The time has arrived to begin the MVP process this week. You the reader will decide who will be the most outstanding athlete of the week from either Ladue High, St. Joseph’s Academy, Villa Duchesne, MICDS or John Burroughs. Take your pick.
Here’s a suggested list to get the bidding going. We will collect names through Tuesday evening then present the ballot with the names most nominated:
- Kevin Steinhouse, junior from John Burroughs swimming. Nominated by his coach Leslie Kehr, this junior swam three events at last year’s state meeting, making the cut in the 50 freestyle, the 200 medley and 200 free relays this year.
- Cam Newton, Ladue tennis. She has many trophies already. She won a title in 2012 in state doubles then came back and took third in state singles in 2011. Clearly, one of the best tennis players in the state of Missouri.
- Alyssa Jensen, St. Joseph’s Academy volleyball. The top scorer and a two-time All-Metro star, she was named Player of the Year last year. Already signed to play for Cal-Berkeley next year.
- Jack Kurzu, 6-foot-5, 295 pound two-way senior tackle from MICDS. No. 1 guard prospect in Missouri by Rivals.com and Scout.com. He's the Rams top lineman and signed with Oklahoma State.
- Zeke Elliott, John Burroughs football senior. Scored four TD’s in the opening round demolition of Cape Girardeau Central. A big star in track, he’s inked to Ohio State University already.
- Emily Kellerhaus, Villa Duchesne volleyball. The top scorer on the Villa volleyball team, the Saints won the state tournament last fall.
These are just some suggestions. Nominate your favorite and give us a fact or two why they would be worthy of the award.
The ballot comes out Wednesday morning and voting goes until 5 o’clock on Thursday. The winner will be profiled on Patch.com Saturday or Sunday each week.