Ten years ago, on the 50th anniversary of Ladue Horton Watkins High School (LHWHS), the district recognized 35 former graduates who made significant contributions in their fields.
This year, on the 60th Anniversary of LHWHS, an additional group of distinguished alumni will be recognized. As before, the group includes representatives from a broad range of fields, including the arts, medicine, athletics, science, the military, community service, public service and more.
All of the following 2012 award recipients graduated between 1953 and 2002.
- Dr. Robert Allen, M.D. (1956)Professor of Medicine, Co-Director, Division of Hematology, University of Colorado
- Larry Barker (1969)Investigative Reporter for KROE-TV, Albuquerque, NM
- Doug Brown (1960)Retired President, Enterprise Leasing Fleet Services
- Michael Collins, Lieutenant Junior Grade (2002)Operational Element Team Leader
- Dr. Alice Conway, Ph.D. (1972)Attorney; Monsanto – Assistant General Counsel, Commercial and Employment Law
- Judge Todd Edelman (1986) Superior Court, District of Columbia
- Daniel Estrin (2002) National Public Radio (NPR) Middle East Correspondent
- Elizabeth Fritschle (1980) US Foreign Service Officer, currently serving at U.S. Embassy, Rome, Italy
- Irv Gornstein (1969) Executive Director, Supreme Court Institute Professor of Law for Georgetown University Law School
- Dr. Eric Green, M.D., Ph.D, (1977) Director of the National Human Genome Research Institute
- Bob Jacquemin (1960) Retired entertainment industry executive for Paramount Television, Buena Vista Television (Disney), and DreamWorks SKG
- Bruce Karsh (1974) President and Co-founder of Oaktree Capital Management
- Bob Kolbrener (1960)Photographer
- Jim McKelvey (1983)Entrepreneur, Computer Science Engineer and Master Glass BlowerCo-founder of Square, a Mobile Payments Company
- Douglas Niedt (1971)Classical Guitarist and Author
- Robert Nissenbaum (1969) Inventor of Rice Dream and Retired Co-Founder of Imagine Foods
- Rick Recht (1989) Jewish Rock Musician
- Judy Rodgers (1974)Chef and Co-owner of Zuni Café, San Francisco
- Ellen Sherberg (1966)Publisher of the St. Louis Business Journal
- Charmin Smith (1993) Professional WNBA Basketball Player
- Jill (Morose) Turec (1964) Co-founder of Friends of Kids With Cancer
- Dr. Rebecca Tung Hahn, MD (1976) Physician and Echocardiography Expert
- Justin Willman (1998) Professional Magician and Performer
Community members nominated persons they felt to be deserving of this honor. Nominees were then evaluated for “a lifetime of excellence, accomplishment and recognition in their field” by the following committee of alumni, current and former faculty members, and members of the first class of Distinguished Alumni.
- Betsy Heller Cohen, 1972 graduate and 2002 Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient
- Gene Deutsch, 1963 graduate, Co-founder, past president and board member of the Ladue Alumni Association
- Andy Dielmann, 1972 graduate and board member of the Ladue Alumni Association
- Dr. Bridget Hermann, principal of Ladue Horton Watkins High School
- Laura Kaufman, 1994 graduate and teacher at Ladue Horton Watkins High School
- Jeff Kopolow, Vice President of the Board of Education for Ladue Schools, and retired teacher at Ladue Horton Watkins High School
- Kelly McMahon, 1987 graduate and current president of the Ladue Alumni Association
- James Wagner, retired Ladue Horton Watkins High School administrator and coach and co-founder of the Ladue Alumni Association
A reception and presentation ceremony for the Distinguished Alumni Award recipients are scheduled for September 21 at the LHWHS Performing Arts Center and will take place in conjunction with 2012 homecoming activities.